Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Silver Hornet



Recently our silver Cougar died, the mechanic says it would take $2300 to fix it…I’m not paying that.  The car has been sitting since that point, as we happily floated down the river of denial…that car means more to us than we previously thought.  Last week I took a box out and started emptying the personal contents out, and I cried and mourned.  I lived the memories all over again…of the first time I rode in the car, of the first time I drove the car, and of the many trips we made in the car.  I remember sitting in the backseat breast-feeding both of my children in a variety of parking lots.  I have remembered so many things about that car while I took my trip to clean it out. 

My father-in-law was gifted in finding and procuring cars, he used to show up every few weeks with a new one.  He would come and sell us a great car for $500 and leave to find a new one.  We miss him, and we miss his ability to get us used cars.  This car was the last one we had that he got for us, and there will never be another.  We mourn not just the loss of the car, but we mourn the loss of him all over again.  My husband even took of the “cougar” off the back, and the hubcaps as he paid his last respects.
It was finally picked up today and I watched as the tow truck drove away, watched as I would see it for the last time.  It was a good car, extremely frustrating, but a good car none the less.  It served us well for at least 6 years. 

So here’s to you Silver Hornet, may you ever live in our memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment