Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway


I know that this is incredibly late, but Life has been creeping up on me lately and this is the first I have been able to write about it.  For Father’s Day I had the opportunity to take my dad out to Palm Springs to go on the Aerial Tramway that they have out there.  It goes from 2643 feet to 8516 feet in a matter of 10 minuets…and oh my gosh, it is breathtaking!!  I had this opportunity to go with my dad because my mother HATES heights, so she was happy to give me money if I would take him. 


From what we understand the billionaire that built it funded it all by himself, and it cost some astronomical amount.  The towers were the only thing that were manufactured in this country, everything else; including the cables and cars were manufactured in Switzerland and shipped here.  It is the world’s largest rotating tramcar.  This car has windows all the way around it and it rotates 360 degrees as you go up.  When we went the windows were open, as it was over 100 degrees at the bottom, but when we got to the top we needed jackets as the temperature dropped by about 20 to 30 degrees.  The air was very thin, but the views were breath-taking!  We sat and ate lunch together at the top and talked, then we bought some souvenirs and went back down.  Going down was just as gorgeous as going up, and we both shed a tear at being able to do this together, just the two of us.


For those of you who are interested:   http://www.pstramway.com/ 

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about this, but never knew how cool it really was! I'm glad you shared it! Now I want to go! What a fun memory to have with your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also have hiking trails and campgrounds at the top if that interests your family.

    ReplyDelete